Toronto police cleared in balcony death investigation
SIU Toronto police probe clears officers after balcony death in 2025 See what investigators found in the New Year’s Eve case and why no charges were laid
Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) says Toronto police officers did not commit a criminal offence in connection with the death of a 27yearold man who fell from a highrise balcony on New Year’s Eve.
According to the report released Friday, the incident began late on Dec. 31, 2025, after a woman called 911 from an apartment near Jane Street and Wilson Avenue, saying she had been assaulted. She later told police the man had been drinking and using drugs.
Investigators said officers found signs of injury on the woman and went to the man’s apartment, where they tried to get a response and later waited for help to enter. Surveillance video showed the man falling from the building before police entered the unit. The SIU concluded there were no reasonable grounds to lay charges.