Toronto highrise fire started during repair work after earlier blaze
Thorncliffe Park condo fire reignites concern during repair work in Toronto City orders a new safety plan before remediation resumes and residents return
A fire in the walls between two Thorncliffe Park condo buildings in Toronto was sparked during repair work related to damage from a previous blaze, according to the city’s fire chief.
Fire Chief Jim Jessop said contractors were cutting concrete as part of ordered remediation when sparks likely ignited remaining fibrous insulation left from the November 2025 fire. Firefighters were called to the site around 11:30 a.m. Monday.
City officials said the original fire had already been fully extinguished and the new incident was not a reignition. Remedial work is now paused while a new construction management plan is prepared and reviewed to reduce the risk of another fire. The November blaze displaced more than 400 residents, and some remain unsure when they will be able to return home.