U.S. military denies Iran's claim of strike on warship in Strait of Hormuz

CENTCOM denies Strait of Hormuz ship attack, confirming U.S. Navy safety See how Project Freedom is protecting shipping and shaking energy markets

U.S. Central Command has denied an Iranian state media report that claimed a U.S. Navy ship was hit by missiles in the Strait of Hormuz and forced to turn back. CENTCOM said no U.S. Navy ships had been struck and said American forces were supporting a new operation called Project Freedom, aimed at helping commercial vessels move through the waterway and enforcing the blockade on Iranian ports. The statement came after President Donald Trump announced the operation on Sunday night. CENTCOM said two U.S.flagged merchant ships had already passed safely through the strait, while Iranian media reported that a U.S. warship had been attacked after ignoring a warning from Iran's navy. The Strait of Hormuz remains a major chokepoint for global oil shipments, and the wider conflict has already disrupted traffic and added uncertainty to energy markets.